Many beneficial properties are attributed to marine omega-3 fatty acids (EPA & DHA). For example, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has published the following for the maintenance of essential bodily functions that can be attributed to marine omega-3 fatty acids:
- EPA and DHA contribute to normal heart function.
- DHA contributes to the maintenance of normal vision
- DHA contributes to the maintenance of normal brain function
- DHA and EPA contribute to the maintenance of normal blood triglyceride levels
- Maternal intake of DHA contributes to normal eye and brain development in the fetus and breastfed infant
- DHA intake contributes to normal development of vision in infants up to 12 months of age
If there is a major imbalance of omega fatty acids, this can lead to silent inflammation in the body. These can develop into major diseases because omega-6 promotes inflammation. Omega-3 fatty acids have an anti-inflammatory effect.